Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Remodeling ennui

(You have to have seen Gilmore girls to get how ennui, sounds like on-wee, is used.  It's French for boredom with what one is doing!)


 Man, lately I have been so snappy at my kids, frustrated with Kendall that he can't finish our tiling/bead board/base board project faster, and I don't seem to want to do any of the things I normally love to do. I hate living in the mess of construction so it makes me hate to clean because the second I get the house clean, Kendall starts working again.  I wish I would could do all of my our  projects, it's not that I'm unwilling...I've just learned that parts of remodeling are better off for Kendall to do.  I get too impatient to sand properly, and Kendall makes fun of my caulking and mudding, and measuring...hence the reason he has to complete these tasks.  But, the man has hardly any free time and I refuse to be a naggy wife, so they usually end up taking longer than I'd like.  Anyways, I'm having the remodeling blues because I want my house put back together, and I want it done now!  Then I was reading one of my favorite blogs and she said, "I kind of think circumstances don’t change true joy, because the deep real kind of joy is above circumstances."  This is sooo true, and I have been letting myself get so bugged over this and obviously it's not affecting my true happiness, but it was definitely affecting the immediate happiness of my family because I have been a grouch!

This is where we are at today.  Kendall got the back tiles laid, and the front floated.  So tonight he is going to try and get the front laid down, then tomorrow he can grout! 


 On a side note, my post cards came last week and I did get the frames painted and hung.  What do you think? 
This bench was from my mom.  It was a worn green color and desperately needed a new seat cover, so I painted it the same red as my table and will be making a new seat for it tonight.  



You know your not being a fun mom when your almost 3 year old daughter says "Mommy, are you sorry?" 
Me, hastily: "For what?"
Her: "For being so grouchy?"
Oh crap!
Me: "Yes, I promise to be nice from now on!"

Dang, that sucks!

Wa wa wa!!!  I better go clean my house!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry you've been grouchy. It's hard to be happy all the time for your kids! While I don't think that's realistic to be happy all the time we can definitely try to be postitive and patient. Thanks for the great thought provoking post!
BTW my kids notice immediately when I'm upset about something and ask me why I'm sad, always makes me feel 1) guilty and then 2) better! :)

Jenn said...

You gotta love that girl! The bench looks so cute! And for the record I know exactly how you feel and it does stink! It's so hard when you want it all done and the house seems like a mess all the time and you know it's faster if the men do it themselves. But soon it will be over and you'll forget how long it really took because you will be enjoying it.

Unknown said...

Your post cards look awesome. You do such a good job decorating. Maybe I could hire you to come and decorate my house! Don't worry about being grumpy :) it's okay for our kids to know we aren't perfect (even if you are pretty darn close)

Related Posts with Thumbnails