Monday, October 7, 2013

My cute little helper and her bumpy dinner rolls

As a little kid I loved snuggling in bed with my mom until what seemed like super late at night.  She'd let us stay up with her until dad got home from church meetings.  Then when he got home, the game was that I'd pretend to be asleep and if I did it well enough he'd carry me to my bed and tuck me in...then I'd start to giggle and he'd pretend like he had no idea I wasn't actually asleep!  I love that memory.  Do you ever wonder what your kids are going to say about their childhoods?  The things they learned, the things they loved, the things they hated???

It's always been really important to me to teach my kids how to cook.  Most days I try to be patient, but some days it's just not gonna happen.  I love having really yummy food during conference weekend...which btw, if you haven't had a chance to watch it it was amazing!....so yesterday we had a big breakfast then yummy caramel popcorn for lunch, and finished the day off with a roast and fresh rolls.  During all this I always have my little helpers....but especially Miss Maggie...is ready and anxious to help.  I love that she has her brothers super man cape on in this picture by the way!  So anyways, we were shaping the dough into rolls and I was showing her how to pull the dough down so it made it into a smooth ball and she asked me, "Where did you learn how do to that?"  Seriously she said it with wonder in her voice, like I was magic.  I told her that my mom taught me how when I was a kid.  She got a funny little look on her face and said, "Grandma did? That's cool.  You're really good at it mom."  Then I said, "That's why I'm teaching you how to do it when you're small, so when you're a mom you can do it like this too."  

That's when it hit me.  Yes, sometimes, it's really hard to teach 4 little rugrats how do things that I think they need to be able to do...but it's worth it.  I want them to have fun memories of us working together.  Just like I do with my parents.  I seriously don't know how they taught 8 children how to do anything.  I'm sure it wasn't as rosey as I...mostly...remember it being, but still!  Being patient can be really hard.  I'm just really glad that, even though I'm not as patient as I'd like to be, my kids still want to learn and help.  They are learning...and even though I wanted to "fix" the imperfect rolls she'd formed I realized it was more important that she got to see them rise and bake and then eat those cute little bumpy rolls than have perfect pans full of perfect rolls.  

Thanks mom for letting me make my bumpy rolls...among many other things!!!

What kinds of things are important to you to teach your kids how to do?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails