Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The DI is great!

Saturday morning my sister Laura, Maggie and I went out on a shopping trip.  First we hit the Quilted Bear where we found some really cute ideas.  Then Tai Pan.  I got a really cute vase that I'm going to use as a dome.  Then we hit two thrift stores.  I found some great stuff this trip.  It's funny because I've heard so many people say that they never find anything good, but seriously, it completely depends on the day.  I have been looking for a headboard for Miss Mags for a little while and found this one for $5.00.  I'm going to paint it and then cover the ugly middle part in cushy stuff and fabric.  Can't wait.  Then I found this awesome candle stick for $2.00.  I was originally going to paint it, but the gold is kind of wearing on me.  Then the best find of the day was this doll crib for $2.00.  I have been looking for a wooden crib forever and was so excited to find this one.  It will get a makeover of paint and a bottom, then I will make it a little cushion and probably a pillow and blanket.

One of Maggie's favorite things to do is copy Sam and one of his favorite things to do is run as fast as he can while pushing his dump truck.  So of course she has to do the same.  I lucked out last year when I found a second dump truck at the DI for a couple bucks.  I totally had in mind that the 2nd one would be for Kendall to play in the sand pile with Sam, but oh no, that is definitely Maggie's.


I have decided that I am boycotting winter.  It had been so pretty outside, and since I took down my Christmas decor, my snowmen were looking pretty sad.  So I decided to jump right in to spring.  Part of my insanity is also because I'm not sure when I will get around to making this change once the babies come.  Plus, it makes me super happy anytime I walk by this happy mantle!  As you can see my new/old candle stick is being sported.  Doesn't the gold look kind of cute?  Plus, my new globe is also displayed; it's the third from the right.  The stitchery is one my mom made in the 70's or 80's, which I absolutely love.  I was originally going to paint the frame and use it in Maggie's room, which I may still do, but I'm loving it with the other oranges and yellows. I got the teal vase from the DI as well, and the flowers are all from different excursions to Tai Pan.  I had them all arranged with different flowers and decided to make a new combo.  I especially love the raspberry branches.
What have you found at the DI lately?  Or do you think the DI is gross...if you do, I don't think we can be friends any longer!

Is anyone else as tired of winter as I am?  If so, go ahead and start putting up some springy things in your house...I promise it will make you happy...even if your husband thinks you are a little crazy!

3 comments:

Jeanette Atkinson said...

Way to get a jump start on putting up spring stuff. That is why I love valentines. All the bright reds and pinks! Hopefully I will finish my new additions today and get them posted! Your mantel is darling and I too LOVE the DI! Can't wait until it warms up enough for yard sales.

Becky Darling said...

I love your mantle!!!! I wish I had my own house to put up decorations in!!! :(

Laura said...

I cant wait to see what you do with the head board

Related Posts with Thumbnails